Altar servers fulfill an important ministry which enhances the celebration of the Mass. Altar Serving is one of the ways our young people can begin to contribute to the mass and live out their Baptismal promises by serving others and being witnesses to their faith in Jesus Christ. Altar servers play a crucial and necessary role in the celebration of the mass. By serving at the Altar and assisting the priest, Altar Servers have the opportunity to celebrate the Mass with more active participation.
At the Basilica of Our Lady Immaculate, boys and girls in Grade 4 and above are eligible to serve. The Ministry of Altar Serving happens on a rotating basis. Servers are provided with a schedule and training, and scheduling is flexible.
Altar Server Responsibilities may include:
- Assisting with the preparation of the sanctuary and sacred vessels before the Liturgy, and their proper care afterward
- Using and caring for various items used in the Liturgy (cross, candles, books, etc.)
- Preparing the altar, or assisting in doing so, before the presentation of the gifts
- Responding to special circumstances that may arise during the Liturgy, under the direction of the priest
- Exhibiting reverence and respect while serving
- Exhibiting responsibility by serving when scheduled
Recruitment and orientation happens annually in the Fall. For more information, please contact Laurie & Gary Fischer at 519-766-9941, or via email at email@example.com.